Thursday, April 14, 2011

"I woke to the sound of rain today..."

I woke
to the sound
of rain this morning

gentle,
healing rain

it softened the edges of
my waking

it spun a web of
quiet around the space
between my dreamy
there...
and here

it filled the silence with
something more
than nothing,
and yet,
not noise...

an unspoken
something
that was
more,
not less...

i woke to rain this morning
it came in
pounding
sheets of sound that
transformed the
roof above
me into
a tympani

and there
beyond the rafters,
someone holy,
sacred,
saged, and
wise...

a divine
percussionist...

with the mallets
tender
and precise

sets a
new rhythm coursing thorugh
my veins.

I woke to rain this morning
it skittered over the
windows like a sorority of
butterflies sweeping their
eyelashes across
sea glass...it was
a sweet rain,
barely a rain
at all
yet not a drizzle, or
the beginning of
sleet...
it was just,
almost
there..

i woke to rain
this morning...and as I
began to unfold myself from
sleep, and dreams, and
heavy quilts...
I could hear her rustle
the pine boughs
near my
head
below the
sill.

it was a rain that
drenched
the earth, penetrating its
cracked clay, calloused
like farmer's hands gently,
but fiercely holding tomatoes, spinach
and sweet peas,
it  soaked into her dermis,
saturating her pores deeply
below the  surface...
filling the water table
with
enough moisture that
I could last one more season...
not
just getting by,
surviving but
another
day of
sadness...
but buoyant with
hope

I woke to rain today
big wet tears that fell heavy on
a stoney heart,
coursing down flushed temples
pooling in my ears so
that every sound
was like
an ocean
ebbing and flowing
deep within
me...whispering
you are not
alone...
you are not
alone...

I woke to rain today,
a galloping,
surging rain
that rushed through
the canyon
headstrong and
unbridled...
a rain that carved out riverbeds
and softened the sharp
edges of sandstone
with
her urgent
touch...
coaxing from her cliffs
a sigh 
that
echoed through
the
canyon
like a
song...


No comments:

Post a Comment