Thursday, March 17, 2011

"looking for mommy's heart..."

"What are
we searching for?"
my daughters
asked
as we walked
and walked
and walked
along
a spit of
sand
that ran beside
the sea foam
as far
as the
eye
could see.

"Nothing...
and everything..."
I sighed.

Alabaster stones
as
transluscent
as the
face of
an
angel.


soft-hued
bits of
colored
glass
you cannot
see through...
honed by the
surf so
small children
will
not cut their fingers...

tiny branches of
gray
wood
burnished and
bleached
by sand
and salt....like
my
hair...

they giggle...

and mommy's
heart...
I sigh to myself,
we
are looking for
mommy's heart...


and then
I look
down
at them...
two small
sea creatures with
ocean eyes
and driftwood hair...

and
right there,
as amazing as
grace...

what was as
lost,
shattered,
and
broken...
as the
sharp shards of
an old
wine
bottle - carelessly
thrown
from the
bow of a
yacht on a pleasure
cruise...

was
found...

and whole.

Bending to
retrieve
a small
polished
stone
a tear falls
to the
sand
and
disappears.

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful... I am speechless.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving. Thank you Precious Heart...

    ReplyDelete