Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"nests of ribbon..."

she said that
i could smell
lilacs
long before
the last snow of
winter
had melted from
their sleeping
lavender buds

she told me I was a
child with
a taste for lemons
and lavender
and
tiny bits of diaphanous
ribbon in
shades of sky and
sea...

she saved
word slivers I'd
woven into
a birdsnest of
poetry and
songs

strings of letters
and phrases,
twigs and long
strands of seagrass
twisted into
a home for
my memories
of sun-drenched
days and
firefly nights when
the sky was
a bowl of
stars
above a
dreaming
child
filled with
lace-edged
lullabies and
songs of
silk

a sylph
who
danced upon
a moonbeam
in a
slipdress
made
of
a butterflies
wings....

I was a girl
with dreams
too big
to
hold in
small hands

dreams that
lived in
tents of taffeta and
tulle 

dreams that spent their
afternoons
sipping
tea with
tiny
faeiries
who
sang
in
gaellic
and spoke
in
song...


No comments:

Post a Comment