Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Speechless with love..."

"smaller than
a
breadbox,"
I heard her say
to the
voice at the
other end of the line.

"no, not a pair of
shoes, or a purse,
or a new
ipad...
you will have to wait
until we get there
to find out...

bye mom...we'll
be there
before you
know it."

she smiles at the tiny
infant in
her arms, hums a bit,
sways inperceptibly in her
seat, and
squeezes the hand of
the young
squared-jawed
staff seargeant
sitting
next to her
with tears
in his
eyes.

"I've surprised
them both,"
she says 
turning to me,
while tenderly
holding her
biggest
surprise
in young,
but very confident,
arms.

"He didn't know,
and i didn't want to worry
him...or her."

She goes on to tell me
that she got her
GED at the base
high school after
her new
husband deployed.

She greeted him with
a diploma
and
a baby...and now they
are taking
both boys...hers,
and his mothers's
firstborn...and only son...
home to her.

"What do you think
she will say?" she asks me
after both boys have
drifted off to sleep.

"I don't think she will say
anything," I reply, "I think she will
be
rendered
speechless
with love..."






No comments:

Post a Comment