Friday, March 25, 2011

"miracle in the dunes..."

she beckoned me
to follow
her
skittering along
the sand
just below the dunes
on delicate legs
that matched
the willowy seagrass
just ahead
of us

I thought
that perhaps I
was mistaken

even though I'd
spoken to her
from the
silence of
my heart's hunger
for something
unheard,

had she
really
answered with
cock of her head, and 
a flick of
her slender beak
and a
gently whispered
"follow
me.."

She didn't fly
she wasn't afraid
she waited for me
whenever I lagged
behind
only
trying to give her
space

just
in case I was
wrong and
she was
only
returning to
somewhere I was
not invited.

but she urged me
along
behind her
like a conspiratoral
friend on an
adventure into the
dunes.

when she disappeared behind
a shelf of
sand and broken shells
I thought I'd lost
her...

but there it was again,
"follow me....
even where you cannot see"

So I followed her delicate
footprints in the
soft dry sand.

and as I rounded a
tall mound of
crushed shells and
tall grass I saw her
waiting
for me next to a
small
nest of
tiny eggs and
one small
chick...

and I knew

I had seen
a
miracle
in
the dunes...

No comments:

Post a Comment