Thursday, April 21, 2011

"a zephyr's breath..."

I look out the window
of my office,
and all is quiet beyond the
panes of
heavy glass and
frame of steel.

I see the mighty sycamore
in the courtyard,
branches dancing and weaving
against a backdrop of
pale sky

new leaves twist and shimmer
and seeds like spring green
catepillars  are released from her
fingers and drift to the
earth searching a place,
burrowing for home

of course there is a breeze,
a breath of wind,
a zephyr's sigh that moves her
arms and causes her
fingers to dance upon the sky

I pull my shawl closer and step out
into the gray of early spring, expecting a rush
of late april to wrap me in
a chilling swirl of cold air and
sputtering pollen.

but,

what if, when I
passed the threshhold, it were still
what if there were no breeze or
gusty breath of spring to greet me...

yet, still
I saw the branches move and
leaves dancing, seeds falling, lifitng,
soaring
like downy eaglets on
a canyon's thermals
that are not there?

would I believe that the mighty
sycamore was moving of her own
accord? 

would I think that she had chosen to
bend a branch or twist a leaf in
direct opposition to the law
of wind and tree?

would I be convinced that seed and
petal decided to break free
from stem and twig
and fall to
earth...opted to separate themselves
from the tree...a fall from grace?

no...

I am certain that neither tree
nor leaf,
bud nor seed has
mutinied the reign of Spirit,
exiled itself from divine rule,
exercised free will,
or assumed the capacity for
self-determined movement...

there must be something just beyond
my sight...a wall,
a building just over there...
that blocks the wind,
because
it must be blowing
reaching high into her
farthest branches
and
just because I cannot feel it,
that
doesn't mean I believe for one second
that it,
the wind,
is not there.

trees cannot take the government
into their own hands, annul the law of
Spirit,
and dance of their own accord.

yet, is she not alive?

Is tree not a living, responsive,
conscious being...like me?

Perhaps it is I
who is delusional...thinking myself capable
of will or decision...
what if,
I only think I have
what neither tree
nor girl
can find,
or be...
the separateness of
animated entity apart from
Spirit's breath.

we make no choices,
decisions,
take no steps,
fall into harm's way, or
out of grace
of our own accord.

no matter what we think
we cannot see...or feel...
the wind is there...
and sighs us into
action...

like the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment