Monday, December 31, 2012

"to be new..."


"...how silently,
how silently,
the wondrous gift
is given..."

- p. brooks


yes,
this is how
the day should feel,

silent,
expectant,
blanketed in the stillness
of hope

the whole world
holding its breath
in anticipation of another
daybreak

this,
for me,
is heaven

to be new,
to be given the gift of
being who I've never
been before

not who I was
earlier today,
not the me of yesterday,
or last year,
or a lifetime ago
when I thought I had it
all figured out

a life I thought
I'd built with
each thought,
decision,
choice
carefully selected
and
placed perfectly
upon the page
of my living
so that the picture
made sense to me
and
was beautiful


but
this is
not about
a carefully
constructed
story


I want to be
surprised by the
next moment

to be new,
innocent,
as fresh and
sweet as the blue light of dawn,

to be
as open
as a child

eager to learn,
discover,
grow...

to be
delighted
by the serendipity
of it all

to live in wonder
with
what is
possible

as
who I am

not who I was,
or who I wanted to be,
or who I thought
I'd earned
the right to
expect next
from myself

I want
to wander into
a village and
discover
that it is enough to
love well,
to be kind,
honest,
gentle,
generous,
new

this is the
gift that
comes
on the soft
breath of
stillness

that waits
in the
silence

that slips between
the snowflakes
and delights
the heart

with 
hope

to
be
new

now...



"...so God imparts,
to human hearts,
the blessing 

of His heaven."


~ ibid.



No comments:

Post a Comment