Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"waiting for a gift from the sea..."


"One should lie empty, open,
choiceless as a beach --
waiting for a gift from the sea."
- A. M. Lindbergh

choiceless
as a beach...

i wait
for You to
fill my
heart with
small treasures...

I am not picky
in fact,
i have lost the will
to choose for
myself...

it has always left me
empty-handed,
fragile hope-shells crushed
between fingers too
tightly curled,
always
grasping for
something that
eventually
falls through the cracks,
like grains of sand
returning to
the sea...

reaching for the shiny shard of glass
not yet softened to
a pale hue by the pounding
waves and
salted air of a perfect storm...
ready for a child's palm
or a widow's
nightstand...

the wind has blown me
free of wanting
what I cannot see...

I will wait
and wait...and
wait until

from the depths
of the unseen

a single word
teases itself
onto my waiting
shores...

a single word that
leads me forward...
one more step...
on this
journey of meaning,

I will wait
for a feeling
one that leaves me
longing,
aching for
the whisper of
Your message at
my ankles,
Your touch
upon my heart,

and when I
am almost ready
to cross the dunes and
mount the salt-weathered steps
that lead my back to
society and
schedules,
perhaps I will catch
a glimmer of
something
serendipitous upon the
sand,
surf-polished
and no longer a
discarded shard of glass,
but now
a jewell...
a simple transparent
gem of
vision,
truth,
hope....
a beautiful as
smoke in a bottle...
a secret
held in an open
hand

so,
I will stay here
open as
the beach,
willing to be taken in
and out,
in and out,
one
grain at a
time
back into the depths of
Your infinity

then
warmed,
softened,
bleached white
as snow beneath the
heat of your
purifying
Love...

where
I wait
for a gift
from the sea...within

“Patience,
must have her perfect work...”
― M. B. Eddy


No comments:

Post a Comment