Friday, July 8, 2011

"who am I when..."


who am I
when the
lights go out
and the last lullaby
has been
sung
and the girls are
sleeping
soundly in their
little beds
under the eaves...

i think
i am a  sigh
cherished in
the heart of God,
a song that drifts across the tall
grasses of
a moon-washed Colorado
meadow...

i am the silent breath 
of my
waiting in
rapt wonder
for the voice of
God,
the the first strains of prayer,
a symphony of stanzas waiting
to be played
upon the empty page...

I am the scent of chocolate
and lavender...
the lingering
echo of something softly haunting
that whispers across the
nape of my neck and in the
hollow of my throat...

I am as still as a church mouse
waiting for the
floorboards to settle before
she scampers
deftly towards the
pantry doors
for cinammon and
nutmeg and
the the Joy of Cooking
resting on the
shelf

I am a child tiptoeing
though the forest
waiting in the hush of twilight
hoping to
find a band of fairies
singing around a
campfire after
a long day
of
pollenating flowers and
dusting the sky with
fireflies...

I am more silent than
a star and
more hopeful than
a question,
more endless than a
moonbeam and
as peaceful
as
the dawn...

who am I
when the day is
sighing in
her sleep...

i am
content...

No comments:

Post a Comment