Thursday, July 28, 2011

"on belay..."


"and you will hear a voice
behind you saying: 'this is the way,
walk ye in it..."


where is She?

should I be looking over my
shoulder,
listening for
the soft scuff of
footsteps
coming up
behind me,  but not
quite there?

should I be
slowing down,
leaning back,
keening an ear towards
where
I've been...

or is it more like having a
climbing partner...

someone who
has you on
belays,
holds you,
encourages you
to keep on climbing
to reach for the next hand hold,
to place your foot
a little to the
left,
a bit higher,
to center yourself over
your core...

this Someone
doesn't taunt you from
a place far
out in front
like an over-exuberant
running partner...

no,
She urges you to
take one more step,
to reach for the next fingerpost,
to push through the
resistance...
moment-by-moment...

and from a position
beneath,
below,
behind
you...Her eyes never leave your
back,
She bears your weight
without faltering,...


never pulling you
up
so that you scrape your knees along
the way...

but with an almost imperceptible
hand at the small of your
back...

She whispers,
"you can do it...I am here...
let go,
I will not let you
fall..."

No comments:

Post a Comment