Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"Him, declare I unto you..."


"To the unknown God..."
- Anonymous

can I tell
you about
my Father,
my God,
the Lord of heaven
and earth?

He is not
at all
"unknown"
to me

He is not a distant Diety,
a far-off Sovereign,

He is not the place I bring
my problems,
and
hope
someone will
listen
and hear,
and fix them
somehow...

No,
He is not
my mental electrician
or my emotional
Plumber...

He is not a beneficent
spiritual Uncle
I've always heard about
but never met...

He is none of these
things...

He is the Root of my root,
at the Core of my core,
in the depths of my soul..

He is as imminently close,
as intimately familiar,
as infinitely near as
the thrumming
of life
coursing through my
veins, the questions
that rise from the silence
like a sparkle of
fireflies on a midsummer's eve,
the secret dreams
I cherish in the
darkness of the night...

He is the safest place in
a storm,
more reliable than
the rising sun,
the
most beautiful dreams I carry
through my day...

He is Father,
Mother,
All-in-all

the trust in an
infant's eyes,
the fierceness in a mother's
love,
the leaflet
reaching
for the light

He is goodness
and peace,
forgiveness and grace...

the voice of the
turtle, and
the touch of the
wind,

He is the Love in my loving and
the Mind in my knowing

He is the radiance of
being that glows full-orbed
when all is
night
about me

He is the full compliment of
notes in the symphony of my being,
the entire spectrum of
color in the palette of my seeing,
He is every essential element
in the periodic table of
my giving,
breathing,
living
Love

He is the reason
He is the rhyme

the prose
and poetry of
creation,

He is the sound of my
voice when I
tell the truth,
the weight of my tears
when I feel
compassion,
the span of my arms
when I carry
a child,
or open a door,
or hold a hand in that moment of
darkness
just before the light.

He is the kindness of strangers,
the song of a dove,
the power of water
to carve stone
without violence,
the dream of redemption in
a murderer's heart,
the forgiveness that
sets him free..

He is
the hope
they bring to
a second marriage,
the
innocence that
stops
hatred by
placing
a flower
in the
barrel of
a gun...

He is as near as
my oldest memory of Love
and as far-flung as
my dreams of
a school in the Congo...

He is
the gentle rain upon the
tender herb
and the mountain that
is moved
through prayer
and
fasting

He is the quenching
rain,
the purifying fire,
the soft
wind lifting seed
to rest
in fertile soil

He is my Friend when
I am friendless and
my Shepherd
when I
stray...

He is not
Unknown...

He is
All I know,
all I feel,
all I am...

The only...


"Whom therefore
ye ignorantly worship,
Him,
declare I
unto you..."
― Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment