Thursday, April 26, 2012

"And behold, a woman of Canaan..."


“And behold,
a woman of Canaan..."
― Matthew 15

"Have mercy on me,
O Lord, thou son of David..."

and he
answered her
not a
word...

"send her away.."
they implore him

she is not one of us
she is not who we serve

perhaps
this is true

perhaps it is
my destiny...

"I am not come, but
unto the lost sheep of
the house of Israel..."

but she will not be
dismissed
there is a love in her heart
that has sent her here
and she will
stand her ground...

even his followers
cannot protect him
from the
legacy written
on his heart....

so she speaks:

I know who they think
you are,
and who you may becoming

the promised Saviour,
the Messiah,
the one who will defend
Israel's right to the promised land,
to be the
chosen people...

but I also know Father...

have you forgotten
that
He loves my daughter
as much as
He loves you...

Your Father doesn't
sort his children
into
hierarchies of
geography,
ethnicity,
history,
religion,
race....species

he loves us all

even the dogs
are worthy of the
crumbs that fall from
His table...

sir,
you have a choice

you can be a nationalistic leader --
a Messiah
who defends the specialness
of "a people,"
the rights of
"the chosen ones"
one
sees only the
innocence,
the worthiness,
the hope of "the lost
sheep" of his own flock...

or you can
heal...

heal
universally,
impartially,
unconditionally...

which will it be?

for behold,
I am a woman of Canaan,
and I know your
Father
and I
now
know that I
have been sent to help
you
find
your way
to
who you
really
are...

a political leader
with a constituency
you must
defend,
answer to,
stand with,
get approval from...

or,
a healer

I don't think
you can
be both...

"O woman..."
― Jesus



1 comment:

  1. wow. this helped me understand in a new way that the Christ was not Jesus ... the Christ came to the woman, which helped Jesus see more of the Christ. That's head-bonking for me. very cool. Thank you kate!

    ReplyDelete